Time period definitions

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Sep 22 19:34:18 CEST 2010

On 22 September 2010 17:23, Mike Neimoyer <mike at summersault.com> wrote:
> Good morning, all.
>
> This'll be my first post here, and I'm a new Nagios user having
> inherited a setup, so be gentle ;-) I've been reading books (Barth's,
> Turnbull's, Kocjan's, and Josephsen's), and am slowly getting an
> understanding of how things work.

I'm glad you have those - I found Barth's book especially helpful.

> One issue that I am having problems with is how to set up the
> timeperiods for a rotating on-call staff. I've been reading sites
> (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/oncallrotation.html)
> (http://tech.ebusinessjuncture.com/2009/10/nagios-example-of-how-to-make-an-oncall-rotation/)
> I think I understand it, but since none of the books I have seem to
> detail this I figured I would ask here.
>
> To set up a rotation for three admins to be on-call one week each, I
> would need to define the timeperiods for each admin as such:
> <<example date>> / 21                00:00-24:00
>
> Then I specify out a full week's worth of entries, with the "/ 21" after
> it to specify that it repeats every 21 days, correct?  I think I then
> would specify the other two admins' timeperiods to follow this,
> specifying appropriate start dates and the "/ 21" modifier.
>
> I think that's right.

I do too!  It's the same as scenario 3 then in:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/oncallrotation.html
but for a 3-week rather than 2-week cycle.

I can't say I've tried it myself though.

> I am sure my search terms for this were incorrect, but if someone
> wouldn't mind pointing me in the direction of some good resources for
> this, I would greatly appreciate it!  And now, back to the books.

Not sure about other resources myself - you have twice the number of
Nagios books there than I do!

One thing I'd recommend is to be sure you are at a reasonable recent
version of the Nagios code.  There has been some ropiness in the way
timeperiods work which is fixed in recent versions.  See:

http://www.nagios.org/development/history/core-3x

Cheers, and I hope you enjoy working with Nagios.

Jim