Handling different states

sandman42 at libero.it sandman42 at libero.it
Tue Sep 21 08:31:03 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I've written a plugin that looks for number of record processed. If they are
below the thresold, it writes to stdout 'All OK' and exit with code 0. If thet
are above it writes "Too many records" and exits with code 2, and this event
triggers a mail notification with Down as problem, and "Too many records" as
info.

All is working fine.

What I'd need is to handle a third situation: no records processed. Assuming I
may trigger the condition in the same script:

1) How can I notify Nagios of this event? Using a different exit code?
2) How can I modify Nagios notification, so I don't have a problem Down, but
something else, say "Resource hog"?

Thanks