how to run nsca as a daemon on Solaris 10?

Lylex Ryan lylexryan at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 03:13:02 CEST 2010

I've got nsca running fine as a detached process on Solaris 10, and can manually create passive checks via send_nsca.  But when I try to run nsca as a daemon, I need some advice.

The nsca install seemed to create /var/svc/manifest/network/nsca-tcp.xml and that looked ok, so I did a "svccfg import" of that file, and now I get this result:

#> svcs -l svc:/network/nsca/tcp:default
fmri         svc:/network/nsca/tcp:default
name         nsca
enabled      true
state        online
next_state   none
state_time   September 20, 2010  5:40:07 PM PDT
restarter    svc:/network/inetd:default
contract_id

This looks like I'm close.  The service seems enabled.  Looks to me like inetd should start up the daemon when a request comes in.  But nothing happens when I use send_nsca (no logfile activity, no nsca process).  Do I need a script in /lib/svc/method ?

Thanks for any advice....Lyle