How do you wake up an iPhone user???

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herffjones.com
Fri Sep 10 10:04:22 CEST 2010

Thought I would poll the list on this one to see what everyone else is
doing.

The iphone won't let a user specify a custom sound for a text message
alert (unless it's jailbroken).  It won't repeat the notification sound
frequently (once every three seconds, for example).  The existing
notification sounds aren't loud enough or long enough to wake up most
people.  Most of the folks I serve have started to complain that Nagios
can't wake them up -- it's really an iphone problem though.

Has anyone else come up with a good solution and actually put it into
use?  I am considering several options:

1. Write my own iphone app to make the thing go nuts when a text message
is ignored for more than a few minutes.

2. Write my own  system to cause a simple v.Everything modem to call
someone and read them an alert using speex or set up an asterix gateway
to allow such a call to be placed.

3. Use an outside service such as pagerduty or alarmtilt.

I don't quite have the skill for #1, and I don't want to deal with
detecting answering machines for #2, so I'm surprised to find myself
leaning towards #3.

But what has everyone else done?  Is no one else having to deal with
this?

Trever Furnish, tgfurnish at herffjones.com
Herff Jones, Inc. Solutions Architect
Phone: 317.612.3519
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Unix.