monitoring remote windows machines over vpn

Greg Pangrazio pangrazi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 15:09:54 CEST 2010

Is the tunnel always active or are you building the tunnel every time?

I am monitoring about 200 hosts all windows using standard tcp and
icmp checks (not nsca).  If the tunnel gets torn down between checks i
often miss the first check as the tunnel is renegotiated.  There are
two choices, you can change your nagios config so that it requires
more checks to fail or turn ISAKMP keepalives on the tunnels.  Not all
VPNs will support this.  I know that Nortel Contivity VPN appliances
have a memory leak that if ISAKMP keepalives are on the box will
eventually run out of memory.

I use three checks before marking the host down.  The first check is
at 5 min the others at 1 min.  This seems to reduce my false positives
as the VPNs usually have a lifetime of tens of minutes.

Greg Pangrazio