Nagios plain files vs database storage

Marc Powell lists at xodus.org
Tue Sep 7 14:38:50 CEST 2010

On Sep 7, 2010, at 7:03 AM, yuris wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using Nagios for several months with plain files setup, and
> nagiosgrapher. It works pretty nice and I have no problem monitoring ~50
> hosts; ~10 service_checks per host.
>
> Now I'm thinking about migration of other hosts from Zabbix to Nagios
> and totally it is going to be ~350 hosts. Since the number of hosts is
> significant plain test configs does not seem to be a good option, and

This is not an unreasonable number. Just be sure to look through the Large Installation section of the documentation. I've had distributed nagios systems with the pollers checking 2-3000 services each, all reporting back to a central nagios server totaling about 10,0000 services. No major issues seen and I didn't feel I was approaching a limit on the  pollers yet.

No matter what you do, nagios will still use plain text config files. nodutils is just for storing the output-ish things in a database for use by other addons or your own reporting. Any front end that you use to edit hosts/services will always dump them out to plain text config files, same as you're using now, for nagios' consumption.

--
Marc