Detecting Windows Backups?

Tom Yates madlists at teaparty.net
Tue Oct 12 20:54:22 CEST 2010

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010, Jorge Pañeda wrote:

> I will like to take a look to the script. It sounds that would be
> helpful for the maintenance windows that we do to our servers been
> monitored by Nagios.
>
> Could you provide me with the perl script?

sure, it's attached (i hope).  it's invoked as:

./generic-downtime.pl host service startmin endmin reason

where startmin and endmin are the minutes *from now* when scheduled
downtime is to start and end.  any field containing spaces should be
double-quoted.  here are some examples from my prod crontabs:

# no netbackup load alerts mon-thur nights or any weekend
0 15 * * 1,2,3,4  /usr/local/bin/generic-downtime.pl netbackup load 180 1020 "load unimportant outside core hours" >> /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
0 15 * * 5 /usr/local/bin/generic-downtime.pl netbackup load 180 4080 "load unimportant outside core hours" >> /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
# ccm backups only run tue-sat  mornings
50 23 * * 6 /usr/local/bin/generic-downtime.pl netbackup "CCM backups" 10 3250 "system backups only run tue-sat mornings" >> /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd

hope this is of some use.

   Tom Yates
   Cambridge, UK.