escalation question

Paul M. Dubuc work at paul.dubuc.org
Mon Oct 11 23:02:02 CEST 2010

Terry wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 3:48 AM,
> <michal.lackovic at cz.schneider-electric.com>  wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is there any way how to create service escalation in the following way:
>>
>> hostgroup_name                Group1,Group2
>> service_description                *
>> contact_group                        Managers
>>
>> Basically I would need to escalate all service problems on the hosts which
>> are members of Group1 and Group2 to the managers.
>>
>> thanks in advance
>> Michal

> Yes, you're exactly right.  We took it a step further and put all
> hosts in a single group then globbed it as you did above:
>
> define serviceescalation{
>          hostgroup_name          allhosts
>          service_description     .*
>          contacts                foo,foo2
>          first_notification      1
>          last_notification       1
>          notification_interval   1
>          escalation_options      w,u,c
>          }
> define hostgroup {
>          hostgroup_name  allhosts
>          alias           allhosts
>          members         .*
>          }
> use_regexp_matching=1
>
> I think that's all you need to enable globbing.

Thanks for this example.

I'm trying to do something similar with an allhosts hostgroup definition and
it doesn't seem to work unless all hosts in the allhosts group also have
services defined for them.  In this case I get an error like

Error: Could not find a service matching host name 'AXSP51' and description
'.*' (config file
'/vol/omni/nagios-3.2.1/config/test/objects/contacts/Contacts.cfg', starting
on line 74)
Error: Could not expand services specified in service escalation (config file
'/vol/omni/nagios-3.2.1/config/test/objects/contacts/Contacts.cfg', starting
on line 74)

AXSP51 has no services defined for it, but I monitor it as a parent for hosts
that do.  Do I need to maintain a host group to use instead of allhosts just
for the hosts that have services defined for them, or is there a more
convenient (i.e., less error prone) way around this?

Thanks,
Paul Dubuc