Monitoring an EMC Celerra

James Pratt jpratt at norwich.edu
Tue Oct 5 18:33:06 CEST 2010

From: olourkin-nagios at yahoo.com [mailto:olourkin-nagios at yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 12:20 PM
To: Nagios Users List
Subject: [Nagios-users] Monitoring an EMC Celerra

Hi all -

Been digging around to try to figure out how to enable SNMP gets against an EMC Celerra so that I can implement active checks in Nagios.  I have traps set up, but I much prefer active checks whenever possible.  Problem is, EMC support says the Celerra isn't capable of allowing gets.

I've heard and suspected otherwise, so I thought I'd check the list to see if anyone's made the necessary config changes to allow gets.  I think it should be a matter of changing /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf, but has anyone tried?

Thanks,

Erik Larkin

---

I guess having skipped bothering to implement this at our site, i look at this a different sort of way, and ask - are you attempting to monitor the celerra 's datamover via the CS (Control station?), or directly against the dm(s)?

I'm not sure what you wish to monitor either - the celerras have some pretty good internal alerting configs if you dig around ... at least they have worked fine for us.

what are you attempting to do specifically , like monitor just health / temp stuff, or filesystem/share usage etc etc? I'm also curious because i use SNMP gets here extensively, just never bothered against the celerra...

cheers,
James