How long Nagios keep memorized status and change status informations?

Marc Powell lists at xodus.org
Fri Oct 1 15:10:58 CEST 2010

On Oct 1, 2010, at 7:25 AM, Enrico Zimol wrote:

> Hi at all!
> Probably this question will be labeled as "banal" but I can't find
> information about it on official documentation.
> I need to keep an history of the change status event, and I know that
> Nagios don't use database to do it.
> I think nagios use a file to store information with which it create
> reports, but I can't find exactly what file and of course how long
> that informations will be stored.

It uses several files.

/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log is the 'current' data for this log rotation period.
/usr/local/nagios/var/archives/* are the historical logs, one for each previous log rotation period.

Nagios does not remove these files. They're kept indefinitely until you remove them.* Nagios uses them to generate all the historical reports. The current web interface only allows you to go back to the previous year, even if older archived log files are available. There'd be nothing stopping you from using those to generate your own reporting.

--
Marc

* If you do remove them, rename them, gzip them or modify them in any way nagios will be unable to use them for reporting purposes.