checking windows processes

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Fri Nov 26 14:55:45 CET 2010

  On 26/11/10 13:26, Mark A. Lappin wrote:
> Good Morning!
>
> I guess I'm trying to do something "weird" since I've not been able to find an example (yet).  I have some Windows hosts where I need them to stay logged in and running various "things"  - for software not written to run as a service.   Easy enough, if explorer.exe is not running (along with the other processes I have service checks for, I get errors and notifications.
>
> Other systems however, should not be logged in, and for various reasons, sometimes get left logged in if somebody just disconnects their RDP session without logging off or doesn't log off the local console.  I need a check for the "OK" state to be if explorer.exe is not running and for the error state to be if explorer.exe IS running.
>
> Below are the two definitions, pretty much straight out of the default example configuration files which I modified just slightly.  I'm not sure where I got the "=stopped" on my check_command from, its been a while since I've modified anything in Nagios until this week.
>
> Any ideas somebody would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!
>
> define service{
>          use                     generic-service
>          hostgroups              windows-servers
>          service_description     Explorer
>          check_command           check_nt!PROCSTATE!-d SHOWALL -l "Explorer.exe"=stopped
> }
>
> define command{
>          command_name    check_nt
>          command_line    $USER1$/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 12489 -s nagios12345 -v $ARG1$ $ARG2$
>          }
>

> --Mark

I have not heard about the option of "=stopped" , but if that works it's
a good way.

another way to manipulate the return output is to use the "nagate"
plugin ( should be in the libexec dir ) , and it will allow you to twick
the output submitted to nagios from the service execution .

http://nagiosplugins.org/man/negate

Assaf

--
Never,Ever Cut A Deal With a Dragon

Next year I will be doing the London to Paris bike ride to
raise money for the DogTrust (www.dogstrust.co.uk) .
Please Sponsor me at http://www.justgiving.com/Assaf-Flatto