$HOME is not set correctly for plug-ins

Alexander Haas alex at geloet.de
Thu Nov 25 21:18:21 CET 2010

On 25.11.2010 11:39, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> On 11/25/2010 12:12 AM, Alexander Haas wrote:
>> I think it's Nagois
>> doing some kind of su in its internals which causes my plug-in to get a
>> wrong $HOME inherited. The bad behavior only occurs when executed by the
>> actual Nagios setup.
> Nagios just drops privileges. It doesn't handle parsing environment
> variables already set by the user. And for all it knows, it could
> be wrong if it tries to do so.
>
> You could set whatever vars you want in /etc/sysconfig/nagios though
> and have them work properly for every check Nagios runs. You can use
> shell from there, so
> HOME=~nagios
> would be perfectly valid.
>
> The /etc/sysconfig thing only works on reasonably recent versions of
> Nagios btw, but setting the vars in the init-script would have much
> the same effect.
So this is an expected behavior for every privileges dropping daemon?

Well, I can live with the workaround for now. And I don't understand
your recommendations: /etc/sysconfig sounds like a SuSE/Yast concept to
me. I use Debian. I don't know if the init-script would be the right
place. If I understand it correctly, "$NagiosBin -d $NagiosCfgFile" does
start the daemon. So Nagios drops the privileges itself. Therefore I
would need a "HOME=~nagios" before I start the daemon and a "HOME=~"
right after it. I do not know if there is any other impact on other
parts of Nagios (ofc there _should_ not be any ;). So I think the most
clean way to go is my workaround in the script itself. At least it will
work stable for any upgrades because I do not need to touch distributed
files.

I wonder why there is no better way to go. Some file executed before and
after every plug-in or anything like that would be great for a whole
bouquet of possibilities.

My Nagios is rather old (2.4).

Thank you for confirming my assumptions about what is happening,

Alex