$HOME is not set correctly for plug-ins

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Nov 25 11:39:56 CET 2010

On 11/25/2010 12:12 AM, Alexander Haas wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> thank you for getting back on me. Of course I did do a su - nagios for
> my tests. I fact all my console tests run fine. I think it's Nagois
> doing some kind of su in its internals which causes my plug-in to get a
> wrong $HOME inherited. The bad behavior only occurs when executed by the
> actual Nagios setup.

Nagios just drops privileges. It doesn't handle parsing environment
variables already set by the user. And for all it knows, it could
be wrong if it tries to do so.

You could set whatever vars you want in /etc/sysconfig/nagios though
and have them work properly for every check Nagios runs. You can use
shell from there, so
HOME=~nagios
would be perfectly valid.

The /etc/sysconfig thing only works on reasonably recent versions of
Nagios btw, but setting the vars in the init-script would have much
the same effect.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.