Check For Updates Feature

Jon Adcock AdcockJ at leoncountyfl.gov
Tue Nov 23 13:28:58 CET 2010

Andreas,

  In reply to Christian's question, I installed it from source (and compiled it myself).  However, our Nagios systems are all running on Novell Suse Linux Enterprise Server (SLES).

Jon Adcock
Network Systems Administrator
MIS / Systems Team
Leon County
(850) 606-5500
On 11/23/2010 08:54 AM, Christian Schneemann wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 01:52:10 Jon Adcock wrote:
>>     Can you give me some ideas on where I can start troubleshooting why none
>> of my 3 Nagios servers show when an update is available?
>
> have you installed from source or a package from a distributor?
>
> Suse packages for example have a patch against the calling home function!

Most dists do. Since the cgi's and the core are always from the same
version, it's considered a security risk that random people can sniff
the traffic and find out the version.

Given the potential XSRF exploit in cmd.cgi (which was patched one day
after private disclosure) that floated around about a year ago, I can't
say I blame the distros.

Besides. If you've installed from packages once you'll probably want
to keep doing that in the future too, so "check for updates" is
patched out in very nearly all programs that support it when dist
packagers get busy.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.