Change "Procs Critical" threshold

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Sat Nov 20 02:48:22 CET 2010

> I had another question regarding adjusting these thresholds, this time on
> localhost. It regards the Current Load parameter, which is giving me a
> Critical Load average of -- 2.47, 3.43, and 4.06
>
> in localhost.cfg, /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/localhost.cfg, I have this
>
> define service{
>         use                             local-service         ; Name of
> service template to use
>         host_name                       localhost
>  	service_description             Current Load
>         check_command
> check_local_load!5.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0
>  	}
>
> which I actually went and adjusted to :
>
> check_command			check_local_load!7.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0
>
> I restarted the Nagios service..but this didn't have any effect -- the
> status information still reads the same -- Critical Load Average - 2.47,
> 3.43, 4.06

>From the help for check_load (which I'm assuming you're using
in the command definition):

Usage:check_load [-r] -w WLOAD1,WLOAD5,WLOAD15 -c CLOAD1,CLOAD5,CLOAD15

So, in your service definition, you're telling check_load that you
want to trigger a critical condition if the 15 minute average is 4.0.

Yours is 4.06.  So, yes, it's critical.  :)

WLOAD1  = 1 minute average warning threshold
WLOAD5  = 5 minute average warning threshold
WLOAD15 = 15 minute average warning threshold

CLOAD1  = 1 minute average critical threshold
CLOAD5  = 5 minute average critical threshold
CLOAD15 = 15 minute average critical threshold

If you want your 15 minute average to *not* trigger a critical, you
need to adjust that last value (4.0) to something higher.

Benny

--
"No matter how many shorts we have in the system, my guards will
be instructed to treat every surveillance camera malfunction as a