Change "Procs Critical" threshold

Jonathan Wiggins jwiggins at salon.com
Sat Nov 20 00:04:52 CET 2010

>> I have a couple of systems that are reporting critical notifications, that
>> when you drill into them, the Service : Total Processes has been
>> triggered. Its showing critical process level of 231, 453, for example.
>> Which on a production server is nothing really --- my question is, how do
>> I change that threshold level to something like 750, or 1500?
>>
>> Perhaps I'm not searching online for the correct term or using the right
>> parlance. Any ideas where this can be modified?
>
> If you have a look at the options for the plugin (hint:  ./plugin
> --help), they will reveal their secrets to you.  :)
>
> Then, using that knowledge, you can adjust your service check to
> use the appropriate values for your environment.
>
> Benny

Hey Benny.

I had another question regarding adjusting these thresholds, this time on localhost. It regards the Current Load parameter, which is giving me a Critical Load average of -- 2.47, 3.43, and 4.06

in localhost.cfg, /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/localhost.cfg, I have this

define service{
        use                             local-service         ; Name of service template to use
        host_name                       localhost
 	service_description             Current Load
        check_command                   check_local_load!5.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0
 	}

which I actually went and adjusted to :

check_command			check_local_load!7.0,4.0,3.0!10.0,6.0,4.0

I restarted the Nagios service..but this didn't have any effect -- the status information still reads the same -- Critical Load Average - 2.47, 3.43, 4.06

Is there something else I'm missing?