SNMP checks, using multiple snmpgets

a.smith at ukgrid.net a.smith at ukgrid.net
Thu Nov 18 20:04:37 CET 2010

Hi,

   Im trying to get my SNMP monitoring a bit more informative. I want
to monitor port status on ethernet switches (which Ive tested and
works quite nicely).
Im using the instructions given here:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2008/11/how-to-monitor-network-switch-and-ports-using-nagios/

What would be nice is that in the out put of a give port, rather than
just saying up or down Id like to also include the output from the
ifDescr along with the port status. Logically this would seem to be
possible, give the how to above shows in example 7 a config whereby
you monitor multiple ports in a single command.
I tried this config:

check_command           check_snmp!-C public -o ifDescr.52 -m RFC1213-MI
B -o ifOperStatus.52 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB

The output of the command is fine, I see the string returned from the
ifDescr first then the status of the port, but Nagios takes this as
being an error state and marks the service as faulted permanently.
If anyone can understand that, do you know if what I want is possible
to achieve? :P

thanks! Andy.