Macros in notes?

Mark A. Lappin MarkL at lmfj.com
Tue Nov 16 22:33:22 CET 2010

>> toner part number etc;  routers nearest service center, circuit identifier, etc.  Works great, hard to maintain.

> Agreed. IMHO information like that shouldn't be kept in the Nagios config. A trick we've used a few times is to have a wiki installed, then have notes_url be http://wiki/$HOSTNAME$

Generally, I agree.   I have the information in great detail on my intranet, including escalation contacts, methods, detailed troubleshooting guides but with me being the only IT person, and if I get a problem phone call I can generally walk somebody through checking something in Nagios for me and have them read the info to me right there is easier than having to send them through more hoops.   Thankfully, my environment does not change that often though.

> I'm pretty sure but haven't confirmed that all custom macro names are converted to uppercase. If that's done when defining custom
> macros but not when referring to macros, $_HOSTprnMake$ should instead be $_HOSTPRNMAKE$. Let me know if that works.

This seems to be the problem, I did not however try it with lower case definitions and uppercase usage, I just did everything uppercase, problem solved.   ....The simple things right!

Thank you for your help

--Mark

Mark A. Lappin, CCNA, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator | Lee Michaels Fine Jewelry
Director of Information Technology
11314 Cloverland Ave  | Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Ph: 225.291.9094 ext 245 | Fax: 225.368.3675  | Mobile:  225-362-2770
www.lmfj.com

This communication is privileged and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this communication .