Macros in notes?

Paul M. Dubuc work at paul.dubuc.org
Tue Nov 16 21:44:27 CET 2010

Mark A. Lappin wrote:

> What I would like to do, for my network printers, switches, routers, and
> some other devices, is add more information to the extended info page. I have
> been playing around with notes and to get decently readable output, I end up
> with a bunch of ugly looking HTML which I have been duplicating on every host
> definition. Trying to include printer make, model, print queue, location,
> primary users, toner part number etc; routers nearest service center, circuit
> identifier, etc. Works great, hard to maintain.
>
> So I was/have been trying (unsuccessfully) to use macros in my host
> definition and on the template put in the more complex HTML that would fill in
> from the macros
>
> The below configs show what I was attempting. I do not get any
> configuration  warnings, I don't however get the value that I have set in the host, I get the
> literal output: $_HOSTprnMake$. So I'm thinking (1) Nagios doesn't support
> what I'm trying to do and I can't use macros in notes or (2) I have a syntax
> error that I'm not seeing. I'm hoping somebody here can give me some insight
> into which case it might be - especially for #1 before I really start beating
> my head against the wall.

It's #1.  Nagios only supports macro expansion for command objects (maybe
others I don't know).  Using macro expansions will work in the arguments (if
any) that you pass to the check_command because they're expanded for the
command object.

Being able to do what you are trying to do here would be nice.  I would like
to use macros for constructing host and service names.