Suppress "Max concurrent service checks" messages.

Ton Voon tonvoon at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 18:03:24 CET 2010

On 12 Nov 2010, at 15:30, Paul M. Dubuc wrote:

> We're running Nagios 3.2.3 with concurrent service checks set to
> 40.  We can't
> go much higher than this due to resource constraints outside of
> Nagios but
> we're running 329 services at 5 minute intervals (this is a "load
> test" of
> sorts not production load ... yet).  Average execution time/latency
> is 36/11
> seconds so we're seeing quite a few messages like this in the Nagios
> log file:
>
> (Informational Message) [11-11-2010 14:55:57] Max concurrent service
> checks
> (40) has been reached. Nudging <host>:<service> by 9 seconds...
>
> Is there any way to suppress these messages from being logged?  I
> don't see an
> option for logging these in the config file documentation.

I put those messages in.

Firstly, 40 doesn't necessarily mean there are 40 concurrent service
checks running as they may have finished but not been reaped yet (to
decrement the counter).

Secondly, if you are getting these messages, then either (1) this
limit is too low - increase and keep an eye of the load on your nagios
server; (2) you've got too many checks running - reduce frequencies/
numbers or setup a slave server.

The trouble with the way the nudging works is that it hides the fact
that you have latency issues (as the check is rescheduled to a future
time). This means nagiostats will not include the additional latency
time here.

If someone has a better way of working this out, I'm all ears.

Ton