Host dependencies on large deployment?

RT rt at ragweed.net
Fri Nov 5 21:00:26 CET 2010

Using: Nagios 3.2.2.

I have a number of hosts (actually hundreds), each running a few services as
well as SSH.

For Host A, I'd like for all other notifications on Host A to be disabled
when SSH on Host A is critical. I would like to have the same behavior apply
for Hosts B-Z, each dependent on their own locally-running SSH.

In order to do this, does one have to generate a 'servicedependency'
definition for each service on every single host?

While I appreciate the effort put into the first image here (
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/dependencies.html), I was a bit
confused by it.

For example, for each host:

define servicedependency{
host_name Host A
 service_description Load Average
dependent_service_description SSH Service
 <other directives>
}
define servicedependency{
host_name Host A
 service_description Disk Usage
dependent_service_description SSH Service
 <other directives>
}

Is this the correct syntax?

define servicedependency{
host_name Host A
service_description Load Average
 dependent_service_description SSH Service
<other directives>
 }

Is there any way to do something like the following, as a shortcut to the
above?

define servicedependency{
 hostgroup_name ^rack-[A-Z][0-9]$
service_description Load Average
 dependent_service_description SSH Service
<other directives>
 }

I'd like to avoid having an exceptionally complex Nagios configuration and
use templating as much as possible.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have to offer.