check_by_ssh plugin; how to ignore pulgin timeout being critical?

Mirza Dedic mirde at oppy.com
Thu May 27 01:46:03 CEST 2010

Hi List,

I have Nagios currently using check_by_ssh (check_by_ssh v2002 (nagios-plugins 1.4.13)) to check some of my remote servers, it calls a log script on the remote server and the log script returns a warning if the log files matches the criteria.

Every now and then, the check_by_ssh script gets timed out, and returns the message below.

Is there a way to suppress this at the Nagios box, so that Plugin Timed Out messages do not get emailed as "Critical"?

Anyone know? Below is my command definition..

define command{

                command_name             van-oppy-pro_data450

                command_line $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H someserver -p 22 -i /home/nagios/.ssh/id_dsa -t 10 -C "/home/nagios/plugins/check_logfiles -t 30 -f /home/nagios/log_conf/usr1_data450.lg"

}

Nagios alert returned when the box being queried is very busy (this does not happen often, but creates a unwanted false positive warning):

CRITICAL - Plugin timed out while executing system call

The Oppenheimer Group ---- CONFIDENTIAL