localhost DOWN messages, return code 127 is out of bounds

Rick Mangus rick.mangus+nagios at gmail.com
Wed May 19 19:51:28 CEST 2010

Michael:

What check are you using for the host check?

The line we're looking for is under your host definition and looks like so:

check_command              <command>

Then, copy/paste the command definition for that command.

Patrick asked the vital question, and you blew him off.  The
Quickstart page doesn't say what is in the default config, and most of
us aren't going to go dig up the sample config from a source tarball
to answer your question.

Either provide the requested information, or don't expect much help.

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Michael Maxwell
<mmaxwell at blackarrow.tv> wrote:
> On 5/19/10 9:33 AM, "Lacayo, Luis F" <lflacayo at cps.k12.il.us> wrote:
>
>> What happens when you run it from the command line as the Nagios user?
>> I had a similar issue that required the check to run as root.
>
> Everything works fine when running from commandline as nagios user or as
> root.  It even works fine within Nagios *except* something happens every 2
> hours (on odd-numbered hours at that) that causes these messages.  Any other
> time, everything is fine.

Yeah, let me guess.... is your check_interval 120?  At that point, it
does a host check... what're you running from the commandline?  Is it
the same as the host check command?

> Here's the Service Status details for localhost (edited slightly to fit in
> here somewhat neatly).  This is from the web interface:
<snip>

These services are inconsequential.  The host is down, not its services.

--Rick

P.S.  My apologies if I seem snippy.  It's a bad day.  If you provide
the info, I promise a speedy, polite response.  :)