localhost DOWN messages, return code 127 is out of bounds

Michael Maxwell mmaxwell at blackarrow.tv
Wed May 19 19:08:21 CEST 2010

On 5/19/10 9:42 AM, "Morris, Patrick" <patrick.morris at hp.com> wrote:

> You've left out what is probably the most important information: how the
> check that is failing is defined.
>
> Take a look at your host check definition. Chances are it's either got a
> typo in the configuration, is pointing at a plugin that's not installed,
> or is running into issues with something like SELinux that is denying
> access to the plugin.

Well, I didn't exactly leave this out.  Remember I mentioned that it's a
clean install from the Quickstart document.  I've changed nothing in it
other than the admin contact in contacts.cfg.  So whatever's there is there
in the default localhost checks out of the box.

This is actually the 4th clean install of Nagios on this system.  This time,
I made it a point to change nothing anywhere other than the email address in
contacts.cfg.  The first 2, I'd already started configuring hosts for
monitoring and each time, I ran into the same problem with the "localhost
DOWN" messages each time.  I've never had this problem with earlier versions
of Nagios.

Also, SELinux is disabled, as is the local firewall.

# getenforce
Disabled
# service iptables status
Firewall is stopped.