localhost DOWN messages, return code 127 is out of bounds

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Wed May 19 18:42:38 CEST 2010

Michael Maxwell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just installed nagios 3.2.1 following the docs at
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/quickstart.html
>
> Everything starts up normally, web interface is fine, can login,
> enable/disable checks, etc...  However, every 2 hours exactly,
> I'm getting the following alert in email:
>
> From: nagios
> Subject: ** PROBLEM Host Alert: localhost is DOWN **
>
> ***** Nagios *****
>
> Notification Type: PROBLEM
> Host: localhost
> State: DOWN
> Address: 127.0.0.1
> Info: (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing)

You've left out what is probably the most important information: how the
check that is failing is defined.

Take a look at your host check definition. Chances are it's either got a
typo in the configuration, is pointing at a plugin that's not installed,
or is running into issues with something like SELinux that is denying
access to the plugin.