Full Throttle Nagios

Scot Wilcoxon scot at wilcoxon.org
Tue May 18 22:02:47 CEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 15:31 -0300, Marcel wrote:
> It seems that nagios don't do the best job at taking the hardware to
> its real limits.
>
> When I have more than, say, 10k checks, I start seen check latency
> rises and there just isn't anything that could be done, even
> distributed monitoring have the nagios.cmd write-lock bottleneck.

How busy was the CPU and disk?

> I'm asking if there is by design that nagios don't thrases the server
> when the number of checks reaches certain limits.

I don't know enough about the design yet to know about throttling, but
the Nagios FAQ says that multiple copies of Nagios can run in one
machine if certain files are separate.  So if one copy isn't saturating
the machine, you might be able to run multiple "distributed" copies in
one machine.

Next we'll hear from someone who knows better why that is not a good
idea.