A question on check_http to over 100 sites

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Tue May 11 17:21:05 CEST 2010

I have a need to verify that vendor urls for my company do not change. Since we only allow our locations to see approved urls, this is important.

I was hoping there was some way I could use a macro to do the check_http and have all of the urls for the sites listed as the macro contents .  Something like this -

define url{
	url_name	www.test.com,www.test2.com,www.test3.com.....
	check_command	check_http
	}

define command{
	command_name    check_http
	command_line    /usr/local/nagios/plugins/check_http -L $URL$ -c
 $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$
        }

Can I create a $URL$ macro for use here?  Would doing something like this work?

Is there an easier way for me to have a single host ( localhost) to verify the list of 100 + urls ?
The plan is to do it 1 time a day & send a notification of it fails to get there.
They can then update the approved list of the new url.

Is it not " advisable" to use check_http in this manner?  I am using it to watch a corporate now
& it has been reliable.

Thanks,
Steve