nsca daemon performance

Ford, Andy andrew.ford at wachovia.com
Tue May 4 20:53:24 CEST 2010

I'm having a problem with my nsca daemon (v. 2.7.2) in a distributed monitoring setup (nagios 3.2.1 on SLES 10.2) and I was wondering if anyone else has seen something like this.
nsca seems to be dropping incoming passives in an inconsistent way, sometimes keeping up, other times seeming to skip 1,2, or even sometimes 3 incoming passive checks.
I've checked the collector, and it seems to be sending the nsca packets very solidly on the 5 minute normal_check_interval.

These are the times that nagios logged a "PASSIVE SERVICE CHECK" for a typical service on a single host since last midnight:

00:03:55
00:08:56
00:13:50
00:18:51
00:28:53
00:38:55
00:43:56
00:48:50
00:53:51
00:58:52
01:08:54
01:13:55
01:18:49
01:23:50
01:38:53
01:43:54
01:48:55
01:53:49
01:58:50
02:18:54
02:23:55
02:28:49
02:33:50
02:53:47
02:58:55
03:03:56
03:08:50
03:23:46
03:28:54
03:33:55
03:38:56
03:43:50
03:48:51
03:58:46
04:03:54
04:08:55
04:13:56
04:18:50
04:38:54
04:43:55
04:48:56
04:53:50
04:58:51
05:03:52
05:13:54
05:18:55
05:23:56
05:28:50
05:48:54
05:53:55
05:58:49
06:03:50
06:23:54
06:28:48
06:33:49
06:38:50
07:03:55
07:08:49
07:13:50
07:33:54
07:38:55
07:43:56
07:48:50
08:03:46
08:08:54
08:13:55
08:18:49
08:23:50
08:33:52
08:43:54
08:48:55
08:53:56
08:58:50
09:08:45
09:18:54
09:23:55
09:28:49
09:33:50
09:38:44
09:53:54
09:58:55
10:03:49
10:08:50
10:28:54
10:33:55
10:38:49
10:43:50
11:08:55
11:13:56
11:18:50
11:33:46
11:38:54
11:43:55
11:48:56
11:53:50
12:13:54
12:18:55

Andy Ford
Network Security Compliance & Automation, Wells Fargo & Co.
314-600-7025
andrew.ford at wachovia.com