Handling alarms from unknown/undefined services/categories

SP GLE spglegle at yahoo.fr
Tue May 4 15:49:52 CEST 2010

Hi,
I would like to use nagios to be notified of alarms using passive checks, something like snmp traps but not equal to. Here is the context.
The alarms are received by an SMTP server, a perl script is used to parse the received SMTP message and send information using nsca.

The SMTP message contains these information :
- Alarm level : SUCCESS|WARNING|CRITICAL
- Source Ip Addr : the host that sent the alarm
- Date/Time : the datetime of the alarm
- a Message, the message is composed of two parts "<category>:<details>"
for ex.
"CPU Temperature: 25"
"Ip Link 12: link down"

I would like to forward these alarms to nagios using nsca, but I've got the following major problems :

- I don't have the full list of possible categories/alarms....I just have the previously described format "<category>:<details>"
- I know some sets of categories are quite large, for ex. the "Ip Link \d+" category can be related to over 250 ip links.

- Is it possible to handle such alarms with nagios ?
If so, how can I configure Nagios to monitor such 'unknown' services ? (Is there a specific plugin ?)

Thank you.
Regards