Modifying normal_check_interval breaks nagiosgrapher

Matthew Angelo bangers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 07:21:54 CEST 2010

Hi,

While testing and deploying Nagios I used the following service definition:

max_check_attempts             1
normal_check_interval          1
retry_check_interval           1

Everything was configured and tested including nagiosgrapher (rrdtool).  It
passed proof and concept and we have now moved it into production.   We
tested this against a small set of 200 servers.

Then we went to our "production" values of:

max_check_attempts             3
normal_check_interval          5
retry_check_interval           1

Data collection still works, but when we try to view a graph it's basically
empty data (nothing drawn) for the period in which the new
normal_check_internal was changed.  If we change it back to 1 from 5, it
starts to display data correctly again.

How do I *keep* the new normal_check_internal value, but make it work
again?  Googling led me to this:

http://forum.centreon.com/archive/index.php/t-4506.html

which essentially says nagios.cfg:normal_check_interval and nrpe.cfg:step
are tied together and if you change normal_check_internal you need need to
lose all your data.  The existing data isn't super critical.  We're happy to
lose it.  I tried removing ./var/rrd directory (well rename) but then all
the graphs broke with 'no such device' error.   What other directories do I
need to delete to clear all nagiosgrapher/rrdtool data?

Cheers