File Monitoring

Victor Lanza vicjalan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 16:34:41 CEST 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to find the best way to monitor several user directories and
files to see who accessed, modified, renamed, or deleted them. File access
is also key because we want to know who is looking at files that they should
not. I know that I can deny access to directories but I would have to create
hundreds of shares and directories based on the scenarios that we have here.

I'm not too interested in OS file monitoring, mostly user shared files and
only on Windows. Has anyone done this with Nagios? Aside from watching the
event log for audit traps I mean.

Thanks,

Victor