Unregister a service definition

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jun 17 12:31:02 CEST 2010

On 06/17/2010 09:17 AM, Matthew Angelo wrote:
> Hi Nagios Users,
>
> I have an *extremely* modular configuration.  My template structure is well
> defined and when it comes to monitoring a host, it's as simple as including
> it as a Member of a Hostgroup.
>
> An example Linux server would be:
>

> # cat ./linux/LINUXSERVER.cfg
> define host{
>          use                     PROD-SERVERS
>          host_name               LINUXSERVER.local.lan
>          alias                   LINUXSERVER.local.lan
>          address                 LINUXSERVER.local.lan
>          hostgroups              LINUX, HTTP, SMTP
>          }
>

> And that's it.  It auto inherits all service checks defined against LINUX,
> HTTP and SMTP.
>
> 95% of my LINUX servers have a "/apps" mount point.  Therefore it makes
> sense to include a service check for it inside the LINUX host group and then
> inside the Host Definition for the remaining 5% 'unregister' that service
> check.
>
> Is it possible, inside LINUXSERVER2.cfg, to say "Yes I know I'm a member of
> hostgroup LINUX, but I *don't* want to inherit the service check "Disk
> /apps"?
>
> I tried:
>
> define service{
>          use                        GENERIC-SERVICE-TEMPLATE
>          host_name                  LINUXSERVER2.local.lan
>          service_description        Disk /apps
>          check_command              null
>          }
>
> But obviously this fails with an "Already defined" error.

This is patched in the 'dev' branch of git://git.op5.org/nagios.git
which you will have to build from source. 'null' still has to be a
valid check-command, but with the sources in that branch you should
be able to override a service-check inherited from hostgroups.

It's not very tested, but feel free to try it out.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.