[Q] Service config, go critical:HARD; Alert every 5 minutes until non-critical

Martin Melin nagios at martinmelin.com
Mon Jun 14 17:40:49 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 17:03, Roderick A. Anderson
<raanders at cyber-office.net> wrote:

> My Nagios foo must leave a lot to be desired.  8-(
>
> I have not been able to figure out the correct combination of service
> definition settings to get a check to go CRITICAL:HARD on the first try
> (no SOFT alerts), and keep sending alerts (every five minutes) until the
> check/alert clears.
>
> Either the complete answer or a clue-stick whack (the settings I should
> be looking at) would be greatly appreciated.

From http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#service

max_check_attempts:This directive is used to define the number of
times that Nagios will retry the service check command if it returns
any state other than an OK state. Setting this value to 1 will cause
Nagios to generate an alert without retrying the service check again.

notification_interval:	 This directive is used to define the number of
"time units" to wait before re-notifying a contact that this service
is still in a non-OK state. Unless you've changed the interval_length
directive from the default value of 60, this number will mean minutes.
If you set this value to 0, Nagios will not re-notify contacts about
problems for this service - only one problem notification will be sent
out.

This should be enough to get you up and running :-)

If you still have problems, post your config to the list.

Regards
Martin Melin