Merlin/Ninja perfdata status?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Jun 11 17:21:46 CEST 2010

On 06/11/2010 04:13 PM, Frost, Mark {PBC} wrote:
> [...]

As do most of our customers. We ship pnp with our systems, and our users expect
graphs to Just Work(tm).

I've just started working on the performance data problem right now, although I might
have to modify the Nagios core to do it in an elegant fashion, so perhaps you'll be
forced to run a patched Nagios with your ninja/merlin setup. We shall see how it goes.

> I recall a sort of Merlin roadmap for the rest of the year indicating that upcoming
> work was to better support distributed setups, if I remember correctly.  Is there also
> work afoot to get perfdata into Merlin perhaps with the next release?

The next stable release of Merlin will support fully redundant and distributed
setups, with configuration sync from master to poller and between peers. It's
scheduled for stable internal releas by the end of september. I spend roughly
90% of my time at op5 working on Merlin right now, so development is indeed
moving along rather rapidly.

> I'm trying to build some test systems to try the current version of Merlin/Ninja to
> assess how "production ready" it might be for us by the end of the year when we need
> to make a decision.

By the end of the year it should be used in production at very nearly all our
customers. If you're familiar with git, I'd recommend you to update (using
git pull) on a daily basis. Things are moving quickly now, and the more feedback
and testing help I can get, the sooner it will be ready.

> Thanks very much for all the hard work you and others at Op5 have put in to these
> tools.

Thanks. Always nice to be appreciated :)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.