Merlin/Ninja perfdata status?

Frost, Mark {PBC} mark.frost1 at pepsico.com
Fri Jun 11 16:13:46 CEST 2010

Andreas,

We're planning on a Nagios refresh/rearchitecture near the end of this year
and I'm really hopeful that we might be able to move to Ninja/Merlin as they
do a lot of things we'd really like to have.  They also solve some issues we
have with our current distributed system.

I've been trying to pay attention to the latest developments in this area, but
I may have missed something as changes are happening quickly.

We do, however, rely pretty heavily on performance data.  I think I saw someone had
a hack to do it with Merlin, but it's not really part of Merlin right now which makes
me not want to adopt it for a production Nagios installation.

I recall a sort of Merlin roadmap for the rest of the year indicating that upcoming
work was to better support distributed setups, if I remember correctly.  Is there also
work afoot to get perfdata into Merlin perhaps with the next release?

I'm trying to build some test systems to try the current version of Merlin/Ninja to
assess how "production ready" it might be for us by the end of the year when we need
to make a decision.

Thanks very much for all the hard work you and others at Op5 have put in to these
tools.

Mark