extra "checkresults" files being left behind

Mike Lindsey mike-nagios at 5dninja.net
Thu Jun 10 05:51:35 CEST 2010

Mathew Walker wrote:
> I'm running Nagios on a little VPS box checking a few hosts/services
> (~50 checks).  It's mostly a testing platform for me and checks in on my
> other test VPS systems.
>
> However I keep seeing the extra check results data files build up in
> /usr/local/nagios/var/spool/checkresults like:
> -rw------- 1 nagios nagios    249 Jun  7 23:45 checknbu01O
> -rw------- 1 nagios nagios    252 Jun  8 02:40 checkHxcsiJ
>
> Googled a bit and didn't come up with much relevant.  Any thoughts?

If I remember correctly, the parent nagios process writes out that file,
then forks a child.  The child then runs the check, updates that file
and then creates a file with the same name, plus '.ok' in that
directory, letting the parent process know the check is completed.

So, take a look at the contents of several of those files, if you're
lucky, you'll see that either they are for the same host, or the same
service check.  If so, there might be something in the way that host or
service is getting polled that is causing the forked child to die.

Also, if you're running a version older than 3.0rc1 (generally always a
good thing to include the version of the tool you're useing, when asking
for help) then you may want to upgrade, that version fixed a bug that
might be related:  "Fixed bug with not deleting old check result files
that contained results for invalid host/service"

--
Mike Lindsey