extra "checkresults" files being left behind

Mathew Walker lmw94002 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 23:02:16 CEST 2010

I'm running Nagios on a little VPS box checking a few hosts/services (~50 checks).  It's mostly a testing platform for me and checks in on my other test VPS systems.

However I keep seeing the extra check results data files build up in /usr/local/nagios/var/spool/checkresults like:

-rw------- 1 nagios nagios    249 Jun  7 23:45 checknbu01O
-rw------- 1 nagios nagios    252 Jun  8 02:40 checkHxcsiJ
-rw------- 1 nagios nagios    291 Jun  8 03:52 checkcyaOva
-rw------- 1 nagios nagios    280 Jun  8 04:46 checknlLs4b
-rw------- 1 nagios nagios    250 Jun  8 05:52 checkCMATnr
-rw------- 1 nagios nagios    285 Jun  8 06:21 checkrblxgG
-rw------- 1 nagios nagios    252 Jun  8 07:30 checkikZPk8
-rw------- 1 nagios nagios    285 Jun  8 09:14 check47NrJf
-rw------- 1 nagios nagios    285 Jun  8 13:34 check4g81jo
-rw------- 1 nagios nagios    249 Jun  8 15:15 checkvFH7JT

Some days there will be one or two, some days there will be 30-50.  The days w/ more entries seems to be the days with more alerts.  The files will just build up and build up for months if I do not manually delete them.

I've also seen my one server w/ a passive check, not properly update back to the dummy default value of OK on occassion.

I've tried tweaking the various config variables like: max_check_result_file_age=3600, and check_result_reaper_*.  I thought it may have been a performance issue with my little VPS, but the memory and CPU load (thanks Nagiosgraph), all seem pretty flat.  My typically check interval is 5minutes.  With only ~50 checks it shouldn't be THAT much load.

Googled a bit and didn't come up with much relevant.  Any thoughts?

--
Mat W. - http://www.techadre.com