upgrade from 3.0.6 to 3.2.1 using rpmforge (yum)

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Fri Jun 4 03:06:33 CEST 2010

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> Are there any gotchas I need to look out for when upgrading via yum?
>
> Backup your configs, but the rpms from rpmforge will simply create .new
> files instead of clobbering your old files, then you can merge/rewrite
> anything needed.

Thanks.  I was thinking any and everything with "nagios" in the name but
the config dirs/subdirs makes the most amount of sense.

>> I see a message in January about installing on CentOS and the
>> recommendation of using the EPEL repo.  Rpmforge, EPEL?  Any advantages
>> to either?

I put the EPEL repo on to the system then ran a "yum search nagios".
Rpmforge should up but EPEL didn't  I guess I should try an "yum info"
for fun.

> Epel's nagios version is ancient, it only has useful plugins.

I'll keep that in mind.

> One thing to keep in mind is the Base repo config in CentOS points to
> a "5" on the mirrors which is symlinked to the latest version. Continuing
> to use an old version like 5.3 without editing your repo cnofigs to point
> to 5.3 causes you to mix 5.5 rpms into your 5.3 installation which
> depending on what you install can be a problem...

Thanks again.

\\||/
Rod