upgrade from 3.0.6 to 3.2.1 using rpmforge (yum)

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Fri Jun 4 02:51:21 CEST 2010

>Are there any gotchas I need to look out for when upgrading via yum?

Backup your configs, but the rpms from rpmforge will simply create .new
files instead of clobbering your old files, then you can merge/rewrite
anything needed.

>I see a message in January about installing on CentOS and the
>recommendation of using the EPEL repo.  Rpmforge, EPEL?  Any advantages
>to either?

Epel's nagios version is ancient, it only has useful plugins.

One thing to keep in mind is the Base repo config in CentOS points to
a "5" on the mirrors which is symlinked to the latest version. Continuing
to use an old version like 5.3 without editing your repo cnofigs to point
to 5.3 causes you to mix 5.5 rpms into your 5.3 installation which
depending on what you install can be a problem...

Hth,
jlc