timeperiod not behaving as expected

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Jul 27 20:26:57 CEST 2010

So I took over someone's nagios setup - it works fine except it checks
that a box is up 24x7 but the box has a cronjob that does 0600 ifup,
2000 ifdown;  so I get a wad of email every night telling me the box
is down, and then the resolved when it comes back up.  So I tried to
fix it, and now I get more email.

Here is a diff of what I changed, my credit_card_hours, and the part
of server.cfg that I think is relevant.

juser at four:~/temp$ diff nag0.txt nag1.txt
1d0
<
6c5
<         check_period                    24x7            ; By
default, Linux hosts are checked round the clock
---
>         check_period                    credit_card_hours
12,14c11,12
<                                                         ; Note that
the notification_period variable is being overridden from
<                                                         ; the value
that is inherited from the generic-host template!
<         notification_interval           60              ; Resend
notifications every 2 hours
---

>         notification_interval           60

define timeperiod{
        timeperiod_name credit_card_hours
        alias           when credit cards can be processed

        sunday          06:00-20:00
        monday          06:00-20:00
        tuesday         06:00-20:00
        wednesday       06:00-20:00
        thursday        06:00-20:00
        friday          06:00-20:00
        saturday        06:00-20:00

define host{
        use                             linux-server    ; This
template inherits other values from the generic-host template
        host_name                       mcve.cteusa.com         ; The
name of this host
        hostgroups                      linux-servers
        check_period                    credit_card_hours
        check_interval                  5               ; Actively
check the host every 5 minutes
        retry_interval                  1               ; Schedule
host check retries at 1 minute intervals
        max_check_attempts              10              ; Check each
Linux host 10 times (max)
        check_command                   check-host-alive ; Default
command to check Linux hosts
        notification_period             24x7    ; Linux admins hate to
be woken up, so we only notify during the day

        notification_interval           60
        notification_options            d,u,r           ; Only send
notifications for specific host states
        contact_groups                  admins          ;
Notifications get sent to the admins by default
        register                        1
        }

define service{
        use             generic-service         ; Inherit default
values from a template
        host_name               mcve.cteusa.com
        service_description     SMTP
        check_command   check_smtp!-t 5
        }
define service{
        use             generic-service         ; Inherit default
values from a template
        host_name               mcve.cteusa.com
        service_description     SSH
        check_command   check_ssh
        }
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use
        host_name                       mcve.cteusa.com
        service_description             PING
        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        }

--
Carl K