Dependencies suppressing execution but not notification

Litwin, Matthew mlitwin at stubhub.com
Mon Jul 26 04:39:11 CEST 2010

Hi,

Here is hopefully a more clear explanation of the problem I posted last night.

I have configured dependancies to suppress notifications when the master dependency is not OK or WARNING and while I am finding they work in suppressing command execution, notification suppression doesn't seem to be happening as the alerts keep coming for them.

This is an example of the problem:

Setup:
Apache_Webhits service depends on Apache_Status service being OK or WARNING for both execution and notification

Apparent order of events:
1. Apache_Webhits returned UNKNOWN because apache was probably down
2. Apache_Status soon goes CRITICAL because it definitely is down alright
3. Nagios stops further execution of Apache_Webhits
4. In the GUI I turn off notifications for Apache_Status for that server until the problem is fixed.

Problem: Apache_Webhits continues to send out notifications that it is CRITICAL though I would have expected the behavior to suppress further notification, but it clearly is just sending notifications as usual. Is that expected behavior? Based on my understanding I would thing further notifications would cease in this case.

My configs:

One this that I did that was unusual mas making a service dependency template to try to streamline my services.cfg so I didn't need to use a dependencies.cfg. It seemed to work just fine but I am mentioning it because it doesn't seem to be explicitly documented. Here is the template:

define servicedependency {
       name                            generic-dependency
       execution_failure_criteria      c,u,p
       notification_failure_criteria   c,u,p
       inherits_parent                 1
       register                        0
}

and here is the example described above:

# Apache_Webhits
define service{
        use                             standard-app-service
        hostgroup_name                  Apache
        service_description             Apache_Webhits
        servicegroups                   Apache_Webhits
        check_command                   check_webhits_nrpe
        }
define servicedependency {
        use                             generic-dependency
        hostgroup_name                  Apache
        dependent_service_description   Apache_Webhits
        service_description             Apache_Status
        }