Dependencies and notifications

Litwin, Matthew mlitwin at stubhub.com
Sun Jul 25 08:24:38 CEST 2010

Hello everyone, could I please ask for some assisntance / am-I-off-my-rocker soft of advice

I am working with using dependencies and I am having a problem that while dependencies are successfully suppressing the execution of monitors because their dependencies are not being satisfied which is what I expect, however notifications are continuing to go out, even though they have the same criteria, which is NOT what I expect because they are the same criteria:

        execution_failure_criteria      c,u,p
        notification_failure_criteria   c,u,p

The monitors that were held in the PENDING state because their dependency was never satisfied since the monitor was created are not sending notifications, but the ones that managed to "squeak in" a CRITICAL state read before further checks were suppressed thereafter continue to send out alert notifications.

This is not what my understand of how notification dependencies worked. Is there some other directive that I need to make it so monitors that are in a CRITICAL state do not send further notifications if their dependencies are not satisfied?

One this that I did that was unusual mas making a service dependency template to try to streamline my services.cfg so I didn't need to use a dependencies.cfg.

Here is the template:

define servicedependency {
        name                            generic-dependency
        execution_failure_criteria      c,u,p
        notification_failure_criteria   c,u,p
        inherits_parent                 1
        register                        0
}

and here is an example of a service that uses it:

define service{
        use                             standard-app-service
        hostgroup_name                  Apache
        service_description             Apache_Status
        servicegroups                   Apache_Status
        check_command                   check_apachestatus_nrpe!localhost
        }
define servicedependency {
        use                             generic-dependency
        hostgroup_name                  Apache
        dependent_service_description   Apache_Status
        service_description             NRPE_Available
        }

Is this just a case of me not understanding how dependencies are supposed to work or is something else weird going on here?

Thanks in advance for any help.