Running Nagios on Vmware

Max Hetrick maxhetrick at verizon.net
Thu Jul 8 16:52:28 CEST 2010

Kent Saunders wrote:

> We run a large part of our environment on VMware, however there are
> certain things that we deem worthy of hardware, Nagios being one of
> them.  Since we rely on Nagios to inform us of problems across our
> environment, we need it to be highly reliable, with performance being a
> lesser consideration.  We've experience issues with VMware that cause
> large numbers of guests to lock up, and if this happened to Nagios we
> wouldn't know, or have as deep a level of alerting.
>
> However, if you really like the idea of running it in a vm, I'd suggest
> putting a simple "is Nagios alive" type test outside VMware somewhere,
> to give you an extra layer of protection should the guest have troubles.

Same here. We take the philosophy with wanting Nagios on separate
hardware running nothing else but monitoring and graphing/trending.

For the exact same reasons listed, we want to know if there's a problem
with one of our virtualization servers, and if Nagios was a VM on the
same box that's having a problem, we wouldn't get those notifications.

My Nagios instance is on an older server with a RAID 1, and of course
backed up, so it could easily be restored should the machine die.

Of course running it as a VM allows the use of snapshots and very very
easy backup and restores, but I still think having it isolated is important.

Regards,
Max