Running Nagios on Vmware

Kent Saunders kgs at uvm.edu
Thu Jul 8 16:26:10 CEST 2010

# Is anyone aware of documentation or test cases showing whether or not
running Nagios on VMware is a good idea? I realize the common opinion is
that it is a bad idea due to I/O but I am looking for something a bit
more in depth.

We run a large part of our environment on VMware, however there are
certain things that we deem worthy of hardware, Nagios being one of
them.  Since we rely on Nagios to inform us of problems across our
environment, we need it to be highly reliable, with performance being a
lesser consideration.  We've experience issues with VMware that cause
large numbers of guests to lock up, and if this happened to Nagios we
wouldn't know, or have as deep a level of alerting.

However, if you really like the idea of running it in a vm, I'd suggest
putting a simple "is Nagios alive" type test outside VMware somewhere,
to give you an extra layer of protection should the guest have troubles.

I've not compared performance between hardware and a guest, so can't
comment there.

-kent