Questions on Distributed / Remote Monitoring

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 8 13:52:32 CEST 2010

In my environment, I have over 400 remote locations, each with 2 servers & 15 linux clients.  I have set up a Nagios 3 host server here at corporate running NRPE to monitor the servers at each location.  I also want to monitor the 15 linux clients at each location, I wanted to have one of the servers in each remote location check the clients  and report to the host Nagios server instead of having all report back.

Would each local server have to have nagios core installed to monitor the local clients? And then report back to the main core server ? Can the NRPE running on the local server  be used to check the client & then report it back to the host server?

  Could I use a check_by_ssh from the local server to the client and still get the info back to the main Nagios server?

Should I run NSCA to get passive checks from the clients to the main server?  I assume with nsca, each client would have to still report back, if so, I might as well just use active checks.

Could I do a multiple parent-child with the main server being a parent to each remote server & each remote server being a parent to all of the local clients?

I am looking for the most straightforward & least taxing way to the admin ( me ) and the systems/network to do this.

Thanks,
Steve