Trouble with latency

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Jul 6 18:03:43 CEST 2010

On 6 July 2010 15:40, Herb J. <nagios at herb-j.com> wrote:
> You may wish to periodically off-load the historical data to a second
> database and clean up the primary one periodically. Having a smaller
> database would help immensely when NDO periodically truncates old data.
>
> Also, make sure that you have the proper database table indexes created.
> Also consider converting the tables to InnoDB. The default install of NDO
> doesn't have things fully optimized as well as it should be for large
> installations. Missing indexes would also cause MySQL to hang while
> searching the tables for old data to remove, and with MyISAM the table would
> be locked during the delete.

Amen to all that.

Another trick which seems to make a huge difference was to create a
file "/etc/mysql/conf/conf.d/nagios.cnf containing:

  [mysqld]
  innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 2

I'm not a MySQL dba so can't explain what this does precisely.
Suffice it to say you sacrifice a bit of reliability for some speed.
Anyone looking to implement this change is recommended to read up on
what it is before doing it.