heck result path is not a valid directory

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Thu Jul 1 16:40:40 CEST 2010

Honia A wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed Nagios on a 32-bit system (CentOS 5.3) following the
> directions given here:
> http://docs.cslabs.clarkson.edu/wiki/Install_Nagios_on_CentOS_5
>
> Everything went well and I ran nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg and
> got no errors or warnings. But when I tried to start Nagios, it failed.
>
> Checked the log file and it reads:
>
> [1277993818] Error in configuration file '/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg' -
> Line 466 (Check result path is not a valid directory)
> [1277993818] Nagios 3.2.1 starting... (PID=27996)
> [1277993818] Local time is Thu Jul 01 10:16:58 EDT 2010
> [1277993818] LOG VERSION: 2.0
> [1277993818] Bailing out due to one or more errors encountered in the
> configuration files. Run Nagios from the command line with the -v
> option to verify your config before restarting. (PID=27996)
>
> Then I opened nagios.cfg file and found this:
> check_result_path=/var/nagios/spool/checkresults
>
> I am pretty sure it's a permission error, but can't seem to fix it. I
> tried the followings:
>
> chmod 777 /var/nagios/spool/checkresults
> chown -R  nagios apache /var/nagios/spool/checkresults
> ./usermod nagios apache
> chown -R apache:nagios checkresults
>
> And some more permission commands, but no luck. I would really
> appreciate it if someone could please help me with this.
Under what user/group is nagios running ?

what is the current permissions of the /var/nagios/spool/checkresults
directory ?

have you also checked parent directory permissions ? it is ok that the
target dir has 777 access , but if /var/nagios does not , this is a dead
point .

--
Never,Ever Cut A Deal With a Dragon