CGI authentication problems

Michelle Avery michelleavery8 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 19:54:41 CET 2010

I originally set up my nagios environment with an administrative user named
nagiosadmin and basic authentication.  At that time everything worked fine.
I tried to set up Active Directory authentication, but that caused numerous
problems, including the fact that my Active Directory users couldn't do
things like re-schedule service checks.  At the time, I thought this was an
AD issue.  I have since decided to abandon AD authentication altogether,
although I'm now using Digest authentication (per the official
documentation) instead of Basic.  Now, however, I'm still finding that I
can't re-schedule service checks (or schedule downtime) as any user other
than nagiosadmin.  I have created passwords for both users in my .digest_pw
file.  My cgi.cfg file shows:

physical_html_path=/usr/share/nagios3/htdocs
url_html_path=/nagios3
use_authentication=1
default_user_name=
authorized_for_system_information=michellea,nagiosadmin
authorized_for_system_commands=michellea,nagiosadmin
authorized_for_configuration_information=michellea,nagiosadmin
authorized_for_all_hosts=michellea,nagiosadmin
authorized_for_all_host_commands=michellea,nagiosadmin
authorized_for_all_services=michellea,nagiosadmin
authorized_for_all_service_commands=michellea,nagiosadmin
default_statusmap_layout=5
default_statuswrl_layout=4
refresh_rate=90
ping_syntax=/bin/ping -n -U -c 5 $HOSTADDRESS$
main_config_file=/etc/nagios3/nagios.cfg

The user michellea is also set as a contact for all of the hosts. When I log
in to the web interface, it shows "Logged in as *michellea*."  I can see all
information for all hosts and services, but I still can't issue commands.
What am I missing?

Michelle