Notification question

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Tue Jan 19 17:48:59 CET 2010

Steven Battaille wrote:

> I’m having a question about the notifications that are being sent by
> nagios.
>

> I found out that if you put the notification interval at 0 you only
> get a mail when the service goes into the type you defined.
>

> I’ll explain my question with an example.
>

>                 We monitor the disk space of several servers. The
> threshold for the warning and critical are set to 90 and 95.
>

>                 As soon as the service goes into warning because the
> threshold is at 90% we get an email with a warning status (so far so good)
>

>                 If the threshold increases to 91% we don’t get an
> email anymore because the state doesn’t change. (it’s still warning).
>

> We now want Nagios to send an email that as soon as the threshold
> value has changed we get an email. (from 90 to 91)
>

> We don’t want to get an email as long as the threshold stays at 90%(we
> already got this by mail)
>

> Does somebody knows a solution for this?

You'll probably want to *not* set your notification interval to zero,
and come up with a custom notification command to do what you want
(i.e., check if that value has changed, and don't send anything if it
hasn't).

Naguios generally doesn't care about plugin output; it just looks at the
result code.  No result code change means, as far as Nagios is
concerned, nothing has changed. One warning's no different from any
other as far as the notification logic goes.