Nagios Capacity

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jan 15 15:23:42 CET 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 5:02 AM, Binbin Wang wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have one question about nagios capacity, According to my investigation, nagios server's capacity is about 3000 items. For example, 1000 hosts are defined on nagios servers, and every host offer 3 services monitoring, so total 3000 items are on one nagios server. If item quantity is beyond 3000, nagios performance will dramatically decline. Could someone give me the offical quantity about nagios capacity? thanks a lot.

There's nothing official or even unofficial as there are too many variable involved. Some of them are the type of hardware you're running it on, the types of checks you are doing, the plugins you use and how frequently you check. There's no formula for determining max capacity. It's an art more than a science. The best you can expect is reports about what others have been able to do. It's been discussed before here but it can be difficult to search for...

3000 is conservative and an easy number on modern hardware with mixed checks running every 5 minutes. I have non-dedicated machines doing that easily on older hardware. I expect that I can easily double, triple or more those checks. There are people who have reported running 10,000+ checks on a single machine (or even more than that).

--
Marc